MEC gets geochemical support in PEP11

May 12, 2016

MEC Resources has received geochemical support for a potential exploration well offshore Australia within PEP11 in the Sydney Basin.

The new geochemical report reviewed the hydrocarbon analysis performed on sediment samples obtained within PEP11 during 2010. The 2010 geochemical investigation utilized a proprietary commercial hydrocarbon adsorption and laboratory analysis technique to assess the levels of naturally occurring hydrocarbons in the seabed sediment samples. A new report investigating a review of this analysis has just been received.

The report supports that the area surrounding the proposed drilling site on the Baleen Prospect appears best for hydrocarbon influence relative to background samples. Conclusions were that thegeochemical data acquired in 2010 supports the identification of reliable backgrounds and also primary hydrocarbon influence locations, despite active gas seeps which appear ubiquitous throughout the area of interest; and the Baleen Prospect appears to hold a higher probability of success than other prospects.

Importantly, a recent review of more than 850 wildcat wells – all drilled after geochemical surveys – finds that 79% of wells drilled in positive anomalies resulted in commercial oil and gas discoveries.

PEP11 is held 85% and operated by Asset Energy, a wholly owned subsidiary of Advent Energy, an investee entity of MEC Resources. Bounty Oil & Gas holds the remaining 15% of PEP11.



Current News

Saudi Aramco Pursues IPO Planning Despite Attack

Saudi Aramco Pursues IPO Planning Despite Attack

Middle East Risks Keep Oil Prices High

Middle East Risks Keep Oil Prices High

Transborders Joins Forces with Osaka Gas

Transborders Joins Forces with Osaka Gas

BP Awards Caspian ACG Contracts

BP Awards Caspian ACG Contracts

Senvion to Sell Assets to Siemens Gamesa

Senvion to Sell Assets to Siemens Gamesa

Oil Price Spike after Saudi Attack Temporary

Oil Price Spike after Saudi Attack Temporary

CannSeal Debuts Mobile Mixer Technology

CannSeal Debuts Mobile Mixer Technology

Subscribe for AOG Digital E‑News

AOG Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week